- Cabinet approval for Ministerial appointments is only required for appointments identified as significant or high-level.
- All Ministerial appointments to NSW Government boards and committees are required to follow the Public Service Commissioner’s Appointment Standards: Boards and Committees in the NSW Public Sector.
- Ministers are required to provide appointment information to the Department of Premier and Cabinet on all appointments to NSW Government boards and committees, including those directly approved by a Minister.
- These arrangements apply from 1 October 2015.
Function and Subject
- Governance (1)
- Boards and Committees
Cabinet approval of high-level appointments
Cabinet approves Ministerial appointments, and reappointments to:
NSW Government boards and committees classified as Group A, Group B, and at levels 3 and above in Groups C, D and E in the Public Service Commission’s Classification and Remuneration Framework for NSW Government Boards and Committees (Classification and Remuneration Framework)
Category 1 Reserve Trusts
Acting positions in the above categories of 12 months or longer
A position to be appointed by the Governor
Any NSW Government board or committee position not in the above categories that is remunerated at greater than $10,000 per annum, and
Any other appointment to a NSW Government board or committee which the Premier or Minister considers warrants Cabinet consideration, with the Premier’s approval.
Ministers may directly approve other appointments.
A robust and transparent appointment process
A stronger appointment process supports the effectiveness and independence of NSW Government boards and committees.
Ministers and government agencies are required to:
apply the Public Service Commissioner’s Appointment Standards: Boards and Committees in the NSW Public Sector (Appointment Standards) and document the appointment process which has been followed for each appointment
ensure appropriate probity checks are conducted on the recommended candidate prior to approval
seek Cabinet approval of appointments listed above, and
advise the Department of Premier and Cabinet of all appointments directly approved by a Minister.
These requirements apply to all Ministerial appointments and reappointments to NSW Government boards and committees, including boards of Government Business Enterprises and State Owned Corporations, and to paid and unpaid, and full and part-time positions on these bodies.
Information about approval and notification processes for appointments to NSW Government boards and committees is available on the Department of Premier and Cabinet website: http://www.dpc.nsw.gov.au/programs_and_services/boards_and_committees.
The Public Service Commissioner’s Appointment Standards and Classification and Remuneration Framework are available on the Public Service Commission’s website: www.psc.nsw.gov.au.
Who needs to know and/or comply with this?
- Executive agencies related to Departments
- Advisory Entities (including Boards and Committees)
- Separate agencies
- State Owned Corporations
- Statutory Authorities/Bodies
- Date Issued
- Sep 29, 2015
- Review Date
- Sep 29, 2020
- Replaced By
- (02) 9228 5555
- Publishing Entity
- Department of Premier and Cabinet
- Issuing Entity